I have installed CCleaner for nearly 4 years and recently I want to remove it from my PC temporarily. But when I try to remove it from Add or Remove Programs, there is something wrong – it gets stuck during the uninstallation process. I have tried several times, but the problem persists. I don’t know why this happens and how to resolve it. Can anyone help me?
Common Causes of Uninstall Failure
Have you installed CCleaner and then when you uninstall it, it doesn’t appear in the list of all installed programs? Or you just get stuck during the uninstallation process? What are the causes of these problems? Here are some common causes that could possibly lead to the uninstall failure:
- You haven’t logged into a user account with computer administrator permissions. Sometimes, a software program can only be uninstalled by an administrator who has the privilege to change security settings, install/uninstall software and hardware, access all files on the computer, and make changes to other user accounts.
- The uninstaller of the software program has been corrupted or deleted. When a program is installed on your PC, its built-in uninstaller (if there is) will be placed to the installation folder in case you need to uninstall the program in future. However, if the uninstaller gets missing or corrupted, it may be unable to do its job, either showing an error or only getting the program partially removed.
- The software program was improperly installed on your PC. If a software program was not installed properly, there may be an error in the uninstall configuration information, which can lead to unsuccessful installation or failure to upgrade to its latest version.
- The software program has ever been incorrectly uninstalled from your PC. In this case, you often receive an error message like “An error occurred while trying to uninstall (program name). It may have already been uninstalled”, and you can’t continue uninstalling the program.
Certainly, there are other causes that could reuslt in the failure of uninstalling a program from your PC. We won’t discuss more about them here, since our main task is to help uninstall programs completely.
Do you have difficulty in uninstalling CCleaner? Or you want to uninstall this program without leaving any traces? Try using a professional uninstaller to help you out!
Description of CCleaner
In the following, we are going to introduce CCleaner in brief. If you are in a hurry to remove this program from your PC, just directly skip to the uninstall guide part.
|CCleaner Basic Information|
|Released Date||16 Aug 2016|
|Setup File Name||ccsetup521.exe|
|Setup File Size||7.85M|
CCleaner, developed by Piriform, is a useful tool designed to optimize your system, making your PC run faster than before instantly. It can remove useless files left by certain program, along with temporary internet files, browsing history, cookies, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, and various other data. Additionally, CCleaner’s patented registry cleaner can scan out and fix registry errors existing in the Windows registry, such as missing references to shared DLLs, unused registration entries for file extensions, and missing references application paths, which enables Windows to run stably.
Main screen of CCleaner
What Can CCleaner Do for You?
From its name, you may think CCleaner is only used for cleaning your PC. In fact, it can do more for you. See below:
- Speed up PC: Remove useless files, settings and data which take up hard drive space from your PC.
- Keep System Stable: Locate and repair Windows registry errors, keeping system to run stably with a clean registry.
- Protect Privacy: Delete passwords, erase browsing history & cookies, and clear your browser cache.
- Delete File Permanently: Wipe free space so the remnants of any files you deleted previously will be deleted forever.
- Speed up Boot Time: Disable programs that are unneceesary to run automatically each time the Windows is started.
- Free up Disk Space: Detect and delete unnecessary files and duplicate files that take up too much disk space.
- Do Disk Defragmentation: Check your hard disks for errors and defragment files to keep your storage in good shape
- Offer Real-time Monitoring:Clean online traces each time you close web browsers. Check and clean your PC regularly and automatically.
Uninstall CCleaner from Your PC – Uninstall Guide
When you uninstall a program from your PC through Windows uninstall utility, those files of the program still remain in your hard drive where you have installed it, and those registry entries created by this program are left in the Windows registry. You possibly have never spent time searching for and deleting these junk files and entries on your own. Yet you may not know that leaving these residual files and entries in your hard drive and registry could bring potential problems. With more and more useless files accumulating in your hard drive, the computer will run slower and slower. Too many invalid entries left in your registry could also cause registry error and further affect the system from running stably. Therefore, uninstalling a program is not as simple as you thought. But, as long as you choose the right solution, it is not hard, either. To uninstall CCleaner completely, you can follow our guide given below.
Solution 1: Uninstall CCleaner by using Perfect Uninstaller (Recommended)
Log on as an administrator, make sure CCleaner is not running on your PC, and then download Perfect Uninstallerby clicking the button below.
Install Perfect Uninstaller by running the file your have downloaded and following the setup wizards step by step.
Upon the installation, run Perfect Uninstaller, and you will see CCleaner in list of all installed programs. When you select it, its basic information will be shown at the right side of the window. Now click on the Uninstall button at the bottomof the window to start uninstalling the program.
A small window will pop up as below. Click Next to continue.
Click Next again.
An uninstall welcome window will appear. Click Next again.
CCleaner will be uninstalled from the installation folder. Now click the Uninstall button to start the uninstallation.
Perfect Uninstaller will quickly uninstall the program from your PC. Click Finish button when the removal is done.
Now you may be askd if remove residual files from your PC. Click Yes to confirm.
Perfect Uninstaller will start scanning the registry for the left entries and the drives for the leftover files. Please wait until the scaning is complete. Then, click Next button.
If any leftover registry entries and files are found by Perfect Uninstaller, please delete them all from your computer.
Solution 2: Uninstall CCleaner through Windows Uninstall Utility
If you choose this solution, it means that you still have to manually finding out and deleting all residual files and entries left by the program after you uninstall it via the Windows uninstall utility. Please be careful when doing the manual deletion, since any mistake could result in unwanted system issues.
*Make sure CCleaner is not running on your computer, before you get down to uninstall it.
Step 1: Uninstall the program through the Windows uninstall utility.
For Windows 7/Vista:
- Click Start menu>Control Panel>Uninstall a program. This will open a window that lists all programs currently installed on your PC.
- Select the program you want to remove, and then click the Uninstall/Change button.
- Now Windows will start uninstalling the program. When it is done, click the Finish button.
For Windows 8:
- Move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the computer screen. When the purple Start menu appear, right click on it and click Programs and Features.
- In the Programs and Features window that appears, search for the CCleaner program, select it and click the Uninstall/Change button.
- The Windows will uninstall the program immediately. When the uninstallation is completed, click the Finish button.
For Windows 10:
- Right click the lower-left corner of your computer screen and click Control Panel. In the open window, find and click Uninstall a program.
- A new window will open. Then, look for the program you want to remove, highlight it, and click the Uninstall/Change option.
For Windows XP:
- Click Start menu>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs.
- In the window that lists all your installed programs, locate the program you want to remove, highlight it and then click the Remove button.
Step 2: Find and delete folders&files left by the program.
* If you know where the program is installed, for example, it is installed in the folder of C:\Program Files, you can:
Open the Local Disk C, open the folder of Program Files. Then, find out and delete the folder of CCleaner (This can delete all files contained in the folder).
* If you have no idea where the program is installed, then you can:
Click the Start menu, type ccleaner into the search box, then right click the target program, and click Open file location (for Windows 7). Or, you can right click on the shortcut icon of CCleaner where is located on your desktop > click Properties > Under Shortcut, click Open File Location option (for Windows 8).
Then, the folder of the program will be opened. You can first delete all files in the foler, and then go back to the parent folder to delete the empty folder.
Last, use the search function to looking for other associated files & folders of the program. And delete them once you find them.
Step 3: Find and delete registry entries left by the program.
Press the Windows key + R key together. Type regedit into the box and click OK button.
When the registry editor is open, click the key named HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and then navigate to Software. Double click it.
Scroll down to find out the folder named Piriform. When you double click it, you can see a subfolder named CCleaner. Right click it and click the Delete option. Then, delete its parent folder.
Now click the key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and expend the folder called Software.
Scroll down to find out the folder of CCleaner and delete it. Then, delete its parent folder as well.
Finally, use the search function to find out and delete any other invalid keys, entries or data. Follow these steps:
Press Ctrl + F keys at the same time, type ccleaner into the Find what box and click Find Next.
If you find any key related to the program, delete it.
Repeat this: Press Ctrl + F keys at the same time, type ccleaner into the Find what box and click Find Next. And delete what you have found.
You need to keep searching for and deleting the keys, entries, and data related to the program until you cannot find anything.
Till now, you have finished the deletion of the leftover files and entries of CCleaner. But please note that, even though you have correctly followed the steps above to do the deletion, perhaps there will still be other files and entries that cannot be found and deleted by you on your computer. Besides, it’s a risky task to manually delete files and entries, especially for a novice user. If any mistake occurs, the system could be damaged and cannot function normally. Therefore, it is highly recommended to use a professional uninstaller such as Perfect Uninstaller to do the uninstall job instead. This can save much time and be risk-free. Click the button below to download Perfect Uninstaller on your PC now!